September 22, 2008

Race for the Cure

This past weekend, Rachel and I were very fortunate to be able to participate in Portland's Race for the Cure. It was my first time participating and it was a wonderful experience! We did the 5K walk and at times it was a little challenging trying to manuver the jogging stroller around all the people there! I unfortunately did "tap" a few folks...oops.


I was invited to join the team of a former employer of mine. She was diagnosed with breast cancer a little over a year ago but is doing great these days!! She ran the 5K!! I was honored to be there supporting her and all the people whose lives have been affected by cancer.

For me, the most moving and inspiring part of the experience came at the end of the race. They had a special "path" for all the survivors to walk down. Everyone else veered towards the right-all the survivors went to the left and walked / ran down this single lane right next to all the people on the sidelines. It was such a great way to honor all the survivors participating and it was so incredibly inspiring to see all of them trek down their path.

We had to wait around for a while before our walk started and of course Rachel became antsy. But not too bad and once we got started walking, she conked out and slept for about the first half. Before I knew it, we were done walking and it was time to go home!

We had a great time and it was fun to catch up with some friends I hadn't seen in a while. But the best part was seeing so many people there supporting such a wonderful cause! I definitely plan to participate next year-but my goal will be to run the 5K!


Here are a few pics from the race:


Doodlebug hanging about in her stroller while we were waiting for the walk to start.

Me along with a few other team members just before the walk started.



And here are just some cute, random shots of Doodlebug:

Crazy hair in the bathtub!


Playing peek-a-boo during bathtime with Daddy

Her cute, toothy smile!

Doodle talking with Montgomery....

Until next time...

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

The Race for the Cure sounds like a wonderful experience. I hope to do the walk next year.

I love the rubber ducky bath! So cute. :)