August 29, 2008

Let the Birthday Countdown Begin!

I can recall many, many years ago, before I even knew Brent, thinking that when I had a child and it came time to celebrate their first birthday, that I really didn't want to do anything major and make that big of a deal about it. I had seen parents host these huge extravaganzas for a party that the child 1) doesn't even know what its about and 2) would never remember....clearly parents were doing this for themselves and not the family. Not that I wanted to ignore and not honor their birthday...but a party?? Really?

Ok, so fast forward...married now, have a child...and in just a few months (about 2 1/4 actually), she will be turning one years old. Sniff, sniff. Have my feelings changed about a one year birthday celebration...yes and no. While I still don't agree with the huge galas for a one year old (Or any other birthday for that matter), I realize now though that I do want to have something special planned for the day and share it with family and friends. So, that being said, Brent and I have started planning, yes, dare I say it.....PARTY!!! Of course the grandparents will be there and hopefully some aunts and uncles, but we are also looking forward to celebrating the day with new friends we have made here and their kiddos. Our goal is to spend a few fun-filled hours with family and friends and to celebrate the wonderful human being that has enriched our lives more than we thought possible.

Feel free to share any great birthday celebrations you have been a part of....


And of course this blog wouldn't be complete without some shots of the doodlebug....
Going through her clothes...in her all-together of course.....don't we all do that chore naked???

Eating beets for the first time-yummy yummy for my tummy but scary scary for my face!!

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

She's so cute!

I'm with you on the whole mixed feelings about big parties for 1 year olds. I think it's nice to mark the day as it is a special occasion, but no pony rides! :)